CREATED BY TRADERS FOR TRADERS

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looking for trading machine (notebook)

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Looking for trading machine (notebook) on Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:49 am

Hi all.

I'm looking for a decent trading machine, preferably a notebook, which is energy-efficient, has lots of RAM, doesn't overheat and is able to connect up to 2 external displays.

I'd be happy, if anyone had a decent proposition.

As much as I like this one, but it doesn't do it...

2 Re: Looking for trading machine (notebook) on Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:14 am

http://www.tradingcomputers.com/

Mr Hatch wrote:Hi all.

I'm looking for a decent trading machine, preferably a notebook, which is energy-efficient, has lots of RAM, doesn't overheat and is able to connect up to 2 external displays.

I'd be happy, if anyone had a decent proposition.

As much as I like this one, but it doesn't do it...

3 Re: Looking for trading machine (notebook) on Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:28 pm

Mikey

FAO fxdave. He runs a computer company.

4 Re: Looking for trading machine (notebook) on Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:30 pm

Attila, I know this company. The bad thing is, I'm not from the US and a bit shy to import. But I will look at a viable solution for this.

If the worst happens, it has to be a Dell machine...

5 Re: Looking for trading machine (notebook) on Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:32 pm

I'd go with a HP if choosing a laptop and an ATI Firepro card to use ATI's "Eyefinity" technology. Would need a docking station for that. For workstations, i would choose a Dell and ATI card they are cheaper. Have two workstations running myself with 1 ATI card each giving five screens at mo and capability for 6

6 Re: Looking for trading machine (notebook) on Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:38 pm

pipper wrote:I'd go with a HP if choosing a laptop and an ATI Firepro card to use ATI's "Eyefinity" technology. Would need a docking station for that. For workstations, i would choose a Dell and ATI card they are cheaper. Have two workstations running myself with 1 ATI card each giving five screens at mo and capability for 6

Do you happen to know, whether the Dell-notebooks are able to run nearly 24/7?

7 Re: Looking for trading machine (notebook) on Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:16 pm

Ya, no problem.. I'm a computer engineer. i have an older Dell Latitude that i leave on overnight regulary downstairs at home... Only thing i would recommend with this is that you purchase a new hard disk perhaps once a year and reinstall everything afresh. After awhile, hard disks become fragmented especially if you leave 24/7 and then you will experience slow performance and possible harddisk clicking noises indicating a failure.. I know there are defragment programs (Windows and Diskeeper etc.) but best to purchase a hard disk for approx €80 if continously powered on.

I suggested a HP as i work with a HP Probook at work and HP are a nice machine but to be honest ,basically under the hood, they are all the same except for appearance... The thing to look at is memory and graphics card when purchasing.. Try and get at least 4GB memory for Win7(32 Bit) although it will only use 3.5GB because its 32 bit.. If running 64 bit Windows, 4-6GB is nice... Definately would recommend a 1GB ATI card if running multiple monitors Hatch

Mr Hatch wrote:

Do you happen to know, whether the Dell-notebooks are able to run nearly 24/7?

8 Re: Looking for trading machine (notebook) on Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:19 pm

i went with workstations for my multiple monitor setup as they are always stationary. When you constantly move a laptop around, this can also affect disk performance. Also, i got cheap memory which is great at www.crucial.com

9 Re: Looking for trading machine (notebook) on Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:38 pm

any new notebook I will purchase will have solid state discs. i just love them.

thanks for the heads up, I will look at the dell-site...

10 Re: Looking for trading machine (notebook) on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:26 pm

fxdave

bro how much u wanna spend ? get something with windows 7 you wont have to spend a lot unless u want to

11 Re: Looking for trading machine (notebook) on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:31 pm

fxdave

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7189038&SRCCODE=webjck404&cm_mmc=Email-_-Main-_-webjck404-_-Deals something like this is all u need u cann get a little more power for another 100 or so hope this helps

12 Re: Looking for trading machine (notebook) on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:33 pm

fxdave

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7189038&SRCCODE=webjck404&cm_mmc=Email-_-Main-_-webjck404-_-Deals something like this is all u need u cann get a little more power for another 100 or so hope this helps we run dells 24 /7 wont buy any more though to many other good deals avail

13 Re: Looking for trading machine (notebook) on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:25 pm

fxdave wrote:bro how much u wanna spend ? get something with windows 7 you wont have to spend a lot unless u want to

thanks, fxdave.

I have not decided just yet, will make up my mind over the weekend... hopefully.

14 Re: Looking for trading machine (notebook) on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:01 am

Hi Hatch,I have an Acer Aspire 8930, it is a 18.3" and it runs now over 2 years without any faults. Most notebooks only support one external monitor, but via docking station, PCMCIA or USB-solution you can access more monitors.

18.3" is very comfortable for desktop replacement, but traveling with such a big NB is a pain and you should have a second one.

On my trading desk I have 2 NB, each is connected with a 23" monitor. In this way your system is "crash proof". The NB's can everytime switch from WLAN to UMTS in case of connection problems.

Nearly every NB is able to fulfill the requirements for a trading desktop, since the software has not high requirements.

I would definitely not pay more than 1500 € for a NB. There are many so called business NB's which claim to be more trustworthy and durable, but I think it is nonsens.

My second NB is a Thinkpad W500. I had a lot of Thinkpads in my life, since my company gives us Thinkpads for our work.

This NB's are expensive, but I had often trouble with them.

My Acer 8930 is the best NB I ever had (as desktop replacement).

Whe you will buy a NB with a solid state disk pay attention, that the NB comes with a processor, which is made especially for NB's and which not needs much cooling. Then you oftentimes can run your mashine without hearing the fan and the disk.

15 Re: Looking for trading machine (notebook) on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Hi Infinitus,

thanks for your recommendation. The issue I have with these Windows-notebooks is that theiy are made of plastic. I'm an Apple guy, so I am spoiled beyond belief by the sheer quality of the machines in comparison to Acer, Sony, Dell or HP.

I assume it will be an Apple machine again, around 8 gigabyte of RAM and a virtualized Windows environment (64-bit that gets 4 gigabyte of RAM devoted to). That should be enough for the next 2 years.
I am working with a virtualized Windows XP (as it doesn't get bothered by - unwanted - updates any more) with 768 MB of RAM... it worked very good when trading the single currency, but as the portfolio grows, so does the hardware requirement.

I have not decided whether it will be a notebook, which I'd love, or an iMac... yet. 27" is huuuge.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum